REACH Academic Dean for English Language Arts
The Academic Dean for English Language Arts (ELA) teaches in both the REACH and Regis English programs, coordinates the ongoing development of the REACH ELA curriculum, leads the REACH ELA faculty, coordinates the winter reading projects and serves as an advisor to REACH students. As a member of the REACH administrative team, the Academic Dean also assists with the general administration of REACH throughout the year and assumes other responsibilities as needed including admissions, special events, and alumni engagement. These teaching and administrative responsibilities require the Academic Dean to be available for the 6-week REACH summer session—including both the 3-week residential program at the Fordham University/University of Scranton and the 3-week day program at Regis—and on 20 REACH Saturdays throughout the school year. As a member of the Regis English Department, the Academic Dean teaches a reduced load in the high school each year. This is a 12-month position with a targeted start date of June 24, 2019.
- B.S. Degree with a major or minor in English literature
- Position will include teaching at both the middle school and high school level
- Experience working with adolescents
- Excellent organization and communication skills
Specifically, the Faculty Member:
- Masters Degree in Literature or English Education
- Successful teaching experience (middle school or high school)
- Spanish language proficiency
- A background working with immigrant families and familiarity with the Jesuit tradition of education
- Familiarity with and understanding of practical uses of technology for instruction
supports the Jesuit/Catholic mission of the school;
- works in collaboration with the administration in observing the principles and ideals for which Regis High School stands and should conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner which shall not bring reproach upon himself/herself;
- devotes energies to teaching in conformity with the policies of Regis High School and is subject at all times to the general control and supervision of the Principal;
- will perform services that include the preparation of examinations, the correction and assignment of grades, and assigned proctoring;
- . responsible also for ongoing professional development, the customary conferences with students and parents, individual guidance of students, serving as an academic advisor with a student advisement group, direction of student extracurricular activities, service on faculty committees, active service in studying department and school issues, preparation of syllabi, attendance at events listed in the school’s Faculty Handbook under “Faculty Staff Participation in Key Events,” attendance at faculty meetings, and participation in other such professional incidental services, in the judgment of the Principal, the needs of the school require;
- . will be generally available to the students in his/her assigned department resource room through the school day when not teaching class; further, is to have one hour after school availability weekly, according to a schedule subject to the approval of the Principal.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and a list of three references by email to Ms. Silvia Gerber, Secretary to the Search Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
. Qualified applicants, when all their required documents are submitted, will be contacted regarding next steps. Regis is an equal opportunity employer.
Regis is an EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer)