Regis seeks a qualified candidate to join its faculty as a full-time guidance counselor in its Guidance Department beginning 29 August 2017 and with the school year ending on 8 June 2018. This is a full-time faculty position. Work hours may vary and may include some evenings and weekends for special school events. Salary is very competitive for the New York City area and is commensurate with experience.
- Masters Degree in Counseling or Social Work
- Position includes teaching group guidance classes for various grade levels 9-12
- Experience working with adolescents
- Excellent organization, case management and follow through, and written and oral communication skills.
Specific Role Responsibilities:
- Successful counseling experience (middle school, high school, or higher education)
- Demonstrated classroom teaching experience
- Experience with PSAT/SAT/ACT/AP counseling and college counseling
- Ability to effectively use technology for group guidance classes and individual work with students and families
- serves as a liaison with academic advisors, classroom teachers, and administrators to aid in facilitating the students' academic, emotional, social, and spiritual development;
- conducts approximately ten regularly scheduled group guidance sessions;
- conducts scheduled one-on-one student counseling sessions (at least twice per year) on issues ranging from family and personal development to academic planning, standardized test planning and interpretation, and general progress and performance;
- conducts unscheduled one-on-one student “drop in” counseling sessions during the school day, as necessary, and be generally available to the students through the school day when not teaching class. The counselor is expected to be available each day until 4:00 PM.
- participates in weekly department and Student Services meetings, as well as various evening programs for students and families;
- is available to meet with parents at school-wide parent-teacher conferences, and by phone, e-mail and in person “as needed”;
- identifies and assists students in academic difficulty;
- maintains accurate and up to date files on students, incorporating notes from individual meetings (and student assignments, if appropriate), and writes student reports for cases transitioning to another counselor;
- displays competent and current knowledge of guidance and counseling, and participate in professional development activities;
- supports the Jesuit/Catholic mission of the school;
- works in collaboration with the administration in observing the principles and ideals for which Regis High School stands and should conduct himself/herself at all times in a manner which shall not bring reproach upon himself/herself;
- devotes energies to teaching and counseling in conformity with the policies of Regis High School and is subject at all times to the general control and supervision of the Principal;
is responsible also for attendance at events listed in the school’s Employee Handbook under “Faculty Staff Participation in Key Events,” attendance at faculty meetings, and participation in other such professional incidental services, in the judgment of the Principal, and as the needs of the school require.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references by email to Ms. Donna Stefanizzi, Secretary to the Search Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
. Materials should be received no later than May 1, 2017. Qualified applicants, when all their required documents are submitted, will be contacted regarding next steps. Regis is an equal opportunity employer.
Regis is an EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer)